The entire adoption process can take from a week to a month, depending on a number of factors including how quickly you find the dog of your dreams, when the dog is medically ready for adoption, how near or far you live from the dog...etc!
- Find your perfect match
- Check out adoptable dogs on our website and email their foster home to learn more about the dog.
- Visit adoption events to meet lots of dogs at once! (The dog you fall for "in the fur" might surprise you!)
- Work with one of our Adoption Counselors - email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
- You submit an Adoption Application - Click to View Our Online Adoption Application
- Once your application is approved, we contact you to schedule a Home Visit
- Once your home visit is approved, we contact you to set up your adoption day!
- Prepare for your new pet by purchasing necessary supplies - including mandatory name tag for the collar. It's also the perfect time to check out our tips for Bringing Your New Dog Home and bookmarking Your Dog's Friend for invaluable information including free classes, lists of well-regarded trainers and tons of advice and resources about all things dog!
- On adoption day, you welcome your new family member. We receive the Adoption Contract & Fee (Adoption fees are payable by check.)
- You take your new dog to the vet within one week of adoption and promptly mail in vet report.
- After the two week "settling in" period, your adoption is final. We email your adoption certificate and original vet records.
Adoption fees are payable by Paypal or check (made out to OBG Cocker Rescue).
- $350 adoption fee
- $250 for a second dog adopted within 3 months
New! Pay your adoption fee online through PayPal. Please note that the adoption fee when using PayPal is $358. This includes the $350 adoption fee and the $8 PayPal fee.
Instructions on paying your adoption fee via PayPal:
Click the Pay Now button below (Note: this is the only button that can be used. Donate buttons can't be used for an adoption).
Login to PayPal
Add the name of the dog you are adopting. You will see a small link that says "Add", under your address on the "Review Your Information" page.
Click the Pay Now button on the Review Your Information page. You should get an email receipt from PayPal to the email address associated with your PayPal account.
OBG takes great pride in our dogs and treat them as we would our own. To that end, we take a holistic approach and attempt to address both their medical and behavioral needs while getting them ready for their foster home. We disclose any medical or behavioral conditions with you prior to the placement of any dog.
Unless otherwise noted, our dogs have received the following medical treatments:
- Complete vet exam
- Senior blood work (8 yrs and over)
- Current on Heartworm and flea/tick preventative
- Any recommended surgical procedures we deem critical for the well-being of the dog
Our adoption applications are free and non-binding. They are an excellent tool to help us find out more about you and to help you find a perfect match! Once you have settled on a dog and want to move forward with adopting, an OBG Board member will review your application and contact you with any questions. We will also check your landlord and vet references, if applicable.
The purpose of a home visit is to verify your address and make sure the home is a safe and secure environment for one of our dogs As such, our volunteer will need to see any area (inside and outside) that the dog might be going. All family members must be present during the homecheck. It allows us to see how you react to a new dog in the home (we will always try to bring a dog with us). We might be able to point out something you never noticed, such as a gap in fencing, a child's toy that might make a tempting chew toy for the dog, or even an uncovered trash can that might motivate a cocker to get into mischief. We're not there to judge your decorating skills! Home checks are valid for one-year.
Our adoption contract is a binding legal contract that we will walk through with you at the time of adoption. As we do not have a foster-to-adopt program, we instead offer a two week trial period, where you are able to return your selected dog for a full refund of the adoption fee. After that two week period, your dog is considered adopted; but if you can't keep your dog at any point throughout their life, we will always take them back - in fact, we insist on it!
Highlights of the Adoption Contract:
- You agree to take the dog to the vet within one week of adoption.
- The first 14 days are a "trial period" where, if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, we can work with you to find another dog or return your adoption fee.
- You will provide indoor living conditions, quality food, access to water and the ability for humane means of exercise.
- You will provide timely vet care, keep the dog up-to-date on shots and current on heartworm and flea/tick preventative.
- You will provide a collar and ID tag for the dog, to be worn at all times.
- OBG has provided you with all the information - medical and behavioral - we have on the dog. As such, we are not responsible for future medical or behavioral conditions.
- The dog has a home with OBG for life. If you can't keep the dog at any time, he or she must be returned to OBG.